Alavés and Villarreal neutralize their forces in a duel with numerous opportunities

Deportivo Alavés and Villarreal did not go beyond a draw (1-1) at the Mendizorroza stadium, where Samu Omorodion and Jorge Cuenca equalized the forces of a duel that had a short score after the numerous chances that both teams had in the first part.

Samu Omorodion put the hosts ahead with a header in the 25th minute and Jorge Cuenca equalized the match before the break. The second half had less spark and the revs were lowered after a very busy first half where Álex Sola did not stop shining.

With this result, the Basque team remains two points above the yellow team, in the middle zone of the qualifying table.

The clash started with a lot of rhythm. Comings and goings that surprised both rears, who could not adjust. The yellow team was the first to warn, but the clearest chance of the game was for Jon Guridi, who collected a rebound in a great opportunity for Samu Omorodion, but his ball hit the post seven minutes into the game.

The back and forth was constant. A loss of the ball by Rafa Marín at the exit of a corner led to a counterattack by Villarreal led by Kiko Femenía, but the quick retreat of the locals initially disrupted the one-on-one with Antonio Sivera, although the play was extended until a shot dangerous from Álex Baena who went over the local goal.

The Basques’ vertical play once again placed them in the visitors’ area. An incisive Álex Sola once again brought the danger down the right wing but found a great Jorgensen who thwarted the chance for Alavés, who lost Rafa Marín due to injury after 15 minutes.

Álex Sola had no opposition on the right wing and constantly entered on that flank, until a counterattack found Samu Omorodion at the far post, who broke the tie with a good header against the opposite post.

Villarreal did not wrinkle and reacted after conceding the goal. Marcelino’s men easily planted themselves in Antonio Sivera’s domain, but he found himself with a well-planted defense.

A foul on the board almost equalized, but Abdel Abqar took the ball over the line. In the subsequent play, Jorge Cuenca found the net with a header on the corner kick taken by Villarreal, just before reaching the break of a busy first half.

The revolutions dropped after passing through the locker room. Villarreal gave space to Alavés, but remained well positioned at the back. Álex Sola continued looking for the tickling along with him and tried with a strong shot that found Jorgensen’s chest in the first play with serious danger of a different second half.

The yellows were recovering ground and created danger from set pieces, while at the same time they increased the pressure on the ball from an Alavés team with less spark than in the first 45 minutes.

Antonio Sivera appeared to clear Alexander Sorloth’s shot that ended a good personal play by Ilias Akohach, who was beginning to grow in one-on-one.

The injuries affected the local defense again and Javi López was forced to leave the field of play and Luis García Plaza brought on Carlos Vicente who was about to score the second goal on the first ball he touched.

The match entered another phase in which Alavés regained the initiative and played more in the Castellón field before facing the final stretch with everything to be decided.

There were hardly any chances at the end, but Samu was able to tip the balance, although without success.

Post Comment